April 23, 2020

#A to Z Blogging: T and U for Totally Unexpected Dollhouses and Miniatures


* Go to Day 1 

* Today is T and U for Totally Unexpected.

The fun of doing miniatures is that sometimes you come across an idea that you didn't expect.

Like most miniaturists, I have lots of projects and lots of ideas, meaning a big cache of UFO's - unfinished objects!

But, you know how it is... You'll come across something that you know will make a good project - eventually or someday.

I found this little box at the flea market last year and while I had no idea what to do with it then, I knew it was perfect for a little scene. Sometimes it's fun just to make something that uses a few items you had in your stash. You get to make something new and feel like you actually got something done!

So luckily, I had the smaller hutch and a tiny chest and desk that all fit in here.

My Rooftop Garden is set in a small bookcase shelf that hangs on the wall. The small houses on top are the porcelain house-shaped bottles from the Dutch airlines. A couple I got from my friend and others came from the thrift store.






The candy box was also something I didn't plan for, but my friend Gigi gave it to me one year for Christmas (filled with the must-have Belgian Chocolate, of course!) She knew I'd figure out some kind of project to use it for, so I made a small Art Deco-vintage flavored sitting room. The furniture was made from the d. Anne Ruff patterns. See link for inside photos.



I have a small mirrored chest I'll be picking up at some point from Peg, so I was thinking of making a half scale craft scene and kids' room with toys in the two shelves inside. I figured it can be a kind of "holding place" until I get another house done, though sometimes those scenes do become rather permanenet!

I also have ideas to put in other small rooms and boxes, and I'll likely come across others. The ideas never end!