April 07, 2020

#A to Z Blogging: F for Miniature Food


 (Hot dogs by C. Verstraete, from In Miniature Style II

* Go to Day 1 

The fun of decorating a dollhouse or room, at least to me, is adding the food! Even better, no calories! haa!

I enjoy making miniature food and also have quite a few items saved that I got from swaps in the past.



** This is one of my favorite cookout scenes I made for my wallhanging Rooftop Garden.





** A favorite scene I made that duplicated the food on the cover of a vintage cookbook. That's a fun challenge to try!



** Get all kinds of free food (& other) printables pages via Yahoo search. Great assortment!

** See J -K on Saturday, 4/11 for my mini groceries and mini kitchen in progress! 

Miniature Food Books (Real Life):



I've enjoyed making some of my own items in the past using the directions  from two of my favorite books. Angie Scarr's book, Making Miniature Food & Market Stalls is a good reference book to have on hand, with directions for an assortment of foods. 


Making Miniature Food & Market Stalls, Angie Scarr - Updated cover on the classic book for making 100 polymer clay food projects and a market stall, fruit boxes and vegetable baskets, plus a color mixing chart. One of the best books for learning mini food making with polymer clay and caning.

Another book I've used a lot in the past is Dolls House Do-It-Yourself Food Displays by Sue Heaser - Instructions for 40 projects in Tudor, Georgian, Victorian styles and more.  Easy instructions to make food with good results! 

For me, making miniature food is something I do in spurts. I do a bunch and then don't make any for a long time. But this is a book I spotted from 2017 that has me wanting to try some different foods. So this is one I want to pick up yet.

 

 Making Mini Food: 30 Polymer Clay Miniatures, Lynn Allingham - I hadn't seen this one. Always great to find new books on making mini food! (209 pages). It has some different items to make from pancakes, to a banana split, cakes, roast chicken, pastry platter, lobster, hot dog, cheese board and more!