April 20, 2023

2023 A to Z Blog Challenge: Quiet! Another Miniature Roombox, Cigar box

 


It's time for the annual A to Z Blog Challenge!  

The concept is simple - blogging for 26 days (except Sunday) from A to Z.

* See A to Z Instagram - Facebook - A to Z Blog Master List of Participants


 Today for the Letter Q-R: Quiet(ly) Working on Another Roombox

I hinted in the M post that between these posts I've been quietly working on a new but old project, a box, of sorts that has been sitting around empty for a while.

If you couldn't guess what it is...  Ignore the title as I've found if I don't add a keyword in the top, I'll never find it again.

Ta-dah! It's a Cigar Humidor! I picked it some years back at the flea market as I knew it could be a cool roombox. It must've been in a store or something, but I liked that it had the lettering on the glass and a shelf inside. (** Added - size: 16" w, 11" h, 6.75" d.) Cool, huh? (*Click photos for full size. See other posts in left column archives.)

So... my idea was to turn it into a small men's store with some clothing, ties, accessories, and of course, a couple boxes of cigars. It's interesting how you can have an idea in mind and then finally it clicks. I'm really happy with how this turned out as it's small but packed like a shop would be.



The box sat for years unfinished, though here and there I assembled some tie, hat, and clothing boxes I bought over the years. (Lisa Engler/Lisa's Little Things, Dragonfly Intl. printie box set, hat box printies - Zenas's Miniatures/Etsy and Looking Glass Miniatures). After papering the inside with scrapbook paper, I decided to add another shelf on the wall using a piece of wood left over from the Fairfield kit as it looked similar to the already attached shelf. Since the original shelf had openings between the slats, I put a string of LED lights there.

The floor is pretty cool - it's actually a wood placemat I found at Goodwill. I really like the finish and color, and wish I could find more of this type. I've bought several other wood mats  as they do come in handy. I had to trim around the non-working lock as since it was original to the box, I didn't want to take it out. Instead I found it was easy to remove the screw and latch.. I glued the lock cylinder in the front. Luckily, the counter fits right over this spot.

Here's the inside of the counter:

The box really didn't need a lot of accessories, but has room for just enough: a hall hat stand, front counter, back shelf, chair, mirror and a small table. Hats and shoes are from Heidi Ott Miniatures. Not sure where I got the pairs of fishing boots. The vest on the mannikin was a kit from now retired Lisa Engler (Lisa's Little Things.) Still fun to put together. I love all the boxes as there is something satisfying about groups of similar miniatures.

The gray suit on the wall and yellow shirt are Thelma Lewis DeMet originals. I made the tacky green suit, the vest, and all the shirts in the counter.


* Next: A to Z Blog: 4/22 S-T: Some Miniature Toys

* Thanks for visiting! Stay tuned for more posts and photos!