April 09, 2024

Got at Dollhouse shows: A to Z Blog Challenge 24

1" scale tins and plant kits from CastleCrafts.

Today for the A  the A to Z Blog Challenge (See Day 1, April 1 ), I thought I'd share a few of the cool kits and things I found at the annual dollhouse shows in Chicago. Come back tomorrow for the letter H-I to see some of the Halloween & Other items I saw at the shows. 

* Click photos for full size and larger view.)

********

Some of the kits I've come to love are from CastleCrafts (from South Africa and also shipping from New Jersey.) The kits are cut from a sturdy mat board, (similar to Petite Properties in the UK), but they go together well and have a great final result. 

Now while I mostly get and make half-scale (1/24th) kits now, I still occasionally have a few 1" scale projects I like to do. I liked the plants and tins in the top photo, and while I don't need another house project, this 1" scale storefront is a neat display project and not too big. So I couldn't resist. It'll be a nice smaller way to store some things between projects. I think I'll do a brick with gold and black like an older French or English shop.


For half-scale, I found quite a few fun kits. I really liked this cooker and the sink, which can fit in a cabin kit I'll eventually work on. I liked the European look and it's different than the usual furniture kits.


I was also tickled to find this weird "wonky" clock in half-scale. It's just too cute to pass up! The parlor chairs are also nice as I got the matching  French chaise lounge.


My other favorite vendor, SDK Miniatures, always has a great selection of furniture and plant kits. I love her Gothic items! I also got the second cafe table/chairs for the mansion diner and these unique poison plants for the witch's cottage. The philodendron will go in the mansion. I also found the second cafe' table/chairs for the diner and another set of plain wood chairs. That's after I fix a light problem. Darn. Knew these wall lights with pin-bulbs would be a problem. I'll have to re-solder one and attach a new light.


Cindy McDaniels (Cindy's Minis, IN) had some great half-scale pieces. I like furnishings I can remake, like these resin pieces, including a vintage Tootsietoy ice box that I'll paint. I found the painted metal stove at another table. There's a also a resin fridge (cabinet?) that came with the bed lot. The bed will be covered with fabric.


Also found some cute Chrsynbon plates painted for Halloween.


The assorted bookcases and counter were from J&J Miniatures from FL. He had quite a few half-scale pieces and since they were priced similar to kits, it saves me from doing the work. I just have to paint and decorate them. I liked the TV display stand (left), too, as it's similar to the stand/bookcase I decorated with a travel theme in my yellow Victorian house. (Other furnishings: Victorian bed, twin dressers, bookcases at link above.) I also got a bargain lot of wood doors from him.


Also got some nice tile flooring from Melvin's Miniatures. (I used the black/white stars tile floor in the witch's house and a couple vintage-look patterns in the mansion, too.)


There is more. Plenty of tiny decorative items and other furnishings like a couple bathroom sets, one plastic, one painted black, maybe for a Haunted house or I'll have to repaint it. Since I used all my bathroom pieces in the last couple houses, it's nice to find some inexpensively priced items. I found some tiny metal/pewter pots to paint for the diner kitchen, also, I really did get a good selection of kits at both shows.

Here's one of the bath sets, the fridge (or a cabinet that doesn't open?) and a fun little robot figure from another table. He kept staring so I couldn't resist. ha!


So fun stuff to work on and keep me busy for a while! I'll share things I finish later.
Be sure to come back tomorrow for H-I. - Stuff seen at the shows.
Next: Friday, 4/12 for J-K  - Just a new Kit I'm working on.