Today I'm featuring the charming miniatures of Dutch dollhouse collector Christa Chayata.
Looking at her work, which is full of character, you'd never know that Christa has only been collecting and creating dollhouse miniatures for three years. The work shown is in the standard 1-inch scale (1" = 1 foot).
Finding herself unable to do much becase of an injured arm, Christa decided to look on the Internet. She found a site with little bears and decided to try to make one. Then she made a real discovery.
"I looked more on the Internet and discovered that the bears could live in dollhouses," she says.,"Wow! What a discovery. I wanted that too, but wanted to try and make everything myself."
She wasn't sure if she could, so she decided to try to do something smaller. Her first project was this
beautiful Rose Garden.
The flowers look real, don't they?
She did make everything herself, such as the bricks from egg cartons, flowers from paper, a painted pond, and soldering the seats, table and bow from metal. (Not bad for a beginner!)
Go to her workshop page to see how to make the water lilies and more. (Her pages are in Dutch, but the pictures show the steps and what she did.) *
Victoria Miniland also has some tutorials on how to make stones and bricks from egg cartons.
Christa's dolls, though, have a charm all their own. She says the beautiful lady in black (at top) is probably her favorite, but she is also drawn to making child dolls.
Christa says, "I try to do my best on making the dolls look as alive as possible."
I think she succeeds, don't you?
* See Christa's amazing Alice in Wonderland and be sure to check out the rest of her website and blog .
Book & Writer Blogs
- ACME Authors
- Author of Doomed Queens
- Betty Webb
- Blog Book Tour Guide
- Blogs That Rule
- Blood Red Pencil - Writing, Editing Tips
- Book Roast
- Book Views, Lacresha Hayes
- Books at Pop Syndicate
- Celebrate Women
- Chester Campbell
- Christina Rodriguez, Ilustrator
- Christina Rodriquez artist
- Crispin Guest - Jeri Westerson, Medieval Noir
- Cynthia's Attic - Mary Cunningham
- Elysabeth's Stories
- Fatal Foodies - Food & Mysteries
- Female Sleuths
- Getting Medieval - Jeri Westerson
- Helen Ginger - Straight from Hel
- It's a Mystery
- JA Konrath
- JR Turner - Dead Friends Forever
- Katie Hines
- Killer Hobbies
- Lacresha Hayes - author, pastor, wisdom on women's issues
- Larry Karp
- Marlis Day
- Mary Welk
- Morgan Mandel
- My Friend Amy's Blog
- Mysterious People
- Mystery Scene Magazine
- Page 69 Test
- Page 99 Test
- Pets & Their Authors - Mayra Calvani
- The Stiletto Gang
- Women of Mystery, Terrie Farley Moran