November 13, 2021

Back from the #Dollhouse Show! What'd I get?

(Dragons and centaur statues from WCD Miniatures) (Click photos for full size.)

I'm baaaack! Went to the annual fall dollhouse show in Elk Grove Village, IL, what was the Wee C show, previously run by a NAME club and now run by T&D Miniatures....

Small,  but not a bad show,  at least for me as I had some good finds! The sad thing is it was the end of an era - the club has pretty much disbanded as most of the members are older and many had died, so no more display room or discount table. They had the best (and only) show display so sorely missed that. (Type Wee C Dollhouse Show in search to see previous show pix).

Well, the discount table proceeds used to be donated to charity and I always found some great deals and cool stuff.  The new show apparently had some things out but most of it was gone by Saturday.

The centaur and dragons (above) were a cool find from WCD Miniatures. He always has a great selection of Egyptian  and other unusual statues. I have a Pan statue that's in the front yard of my other Haunted House. The centaur was the only one I saw and I envisioned it in the center of a garden room or a hall and the dragons out in front. They all are about 3" tall. I also bought that aged rug from the entry table.

The cool thing is I won a door prize! I picked a great frame display made by Ron Chase (D-Tales Miniatures.) I'm going to paint it black, turn that bird into what looks like a crow or raven, and put spooky family pictures in it! Second time I won a door prize at this show. I won a 1/2" scale house kit a few years back that I made up for Halloween. See photos here.

I had bought a 1/2" scale kitchen cupboard kit and a radio from Ron at the last show and really admired his clocks, so I was surprised he was at this show, too! So I got a carved clock! (Oh, it probably won't be the last one. ha!) I also have a beautiful carved filigree shelving unit from him in my 1/2" scale dollhouse that I got in last year's Half Scale group swap. (I can't find that post showing it outside the bedroom, but I think it shows in the house video. See miniatures website page. - Found the post and photo here.

The clock is just under 2" tall.

So... what else did I find?

Well... got some cool frames and a cat rug... Witches love black cats, you know. Plus more metal minis to paint like some tiny phones and a bust statue from J and K Minis. I thought it would be fun to make a time-stood-still dingy kitchen with a wall phone on the wall. ha! And well, you'll see what I do with that dagger and saw! heh-heh.... 


Found a few 1/2" scale kits.... I haven't seen these resin couches in eons. Have an idea to make them look old and dirty with stuffing coming out. (See the examples below.) I had a similar set that I used in another project. (Here's the other couch I painted and added trim to for Christmas.) The old-fashioned stove will be perfect for the kitchen, too! I had used this same kit in my Country Victorian Dollhouse kitchen but I shortened the back. The chair is one of two in a set (one is undone.) The small package is a chest kit (with the teeniest brads that I doubt I'll be able to get in the hinges!)


And... ta-dah! Another dollhouse kit! But.... I've admired (and dreaded doing) the 1/2" scale Fairfield. But I always liked the style of this house. Well, this was a price I could NOT pass up! (I would've kicked myself if I didn't buy it!)  So... this will be the main haunted house, I think. (Yes, the other one is still underway and I am wallpapering it now.)

As I mentioned about shabby/old couches... saw these at a table. No vendor was there, but I think it was named Behind the Attic Door (or something similar.) I thought they were well done.




Oh, and I also found this beautiful silk tie at a Goodwill that will be perfect for some curtains or upholstery... The color is a pretty goldish-yellow with a nice print. 


So, I didn't buy a real lot (but it still adds up. ha!) But I was happy with what I found, esp. as I love kits and you don't always find half scale. 

 ** Thanks for stopping by again. Stay tuned for more project updates! **