August 28, 2024

Another Literary Loss: Historical Novelist Victoria Thompson

 

Sadly, I just heard that a favorite author, Victoria Thompson, passed away. I enjoyed her Counterfeit Lady 5-book historical mystery series, beginning with City of Lies, and have been reading gradually through my favorite series of hers, the Gaslight Mysteries.

The Gaslight Mysteries focus on midwife Sarah Brandt, who also is daughter of one of the richest men in the city, and is one of the founding Knickerbocker families in 1890s New York. Her somewhat unconventional life of supporting herself after the death of her late non-society doctor husband has Brandt now helping women in childbirth and occasionally helping Police Sgt. Frank Malloy solve crimes she may hear about or come across in her work. While fiction, the books do focus on realistic events of the time period.

 The series starts with book 1, Murder on Astor Place, where Brandt discovers a girl from a prominent family has been killed and helps Sgt. Malloy uncover who did it before another death occurs.  

It's a fascinating series, with each book (27 in the series) often featuring crimes related to different issues of the period and societal problems that are still relevant today. It's been interesting to read about the suffragettes, to the prejudice against the early Chinese settlers and mixed marriages, to drug abuse (opium/laudanum), other crimes, and more. 



I recently finished book 16, A Murder in Murray Hill, which involves missing women, lonely hearts ads, and sexual abuse. Some things never change. I just started book 17, Murder on Amsterdam Avenue, centering on the death of the son of a wealthy family who think he was poisoned. Brandt and Malloy uncover secrets stretching back to the Civil War.

It's nice to read a multi-book series and I'm glad I have a ways to go until the end, though it's sad that it will end with book 27, A Murder in Rose Hill, which just came out in April. Unless.... I wonder if she did write another? 

I'm just sorry I didn't email her to say how much I've enjoyed these books. A lesson: contact that author you love reading. I know I appreciate when someone lets me know they like something I've written.