March 04, 2024

HS Dollhouse Mansion Planters, Beds


 I realize I should label posts better as if I want to find a certain thing (and can't), then I'll have to take a new photo, if possible. ha!

Working on a few odds and ends for the mansion. (*See last post - almost open diner; and fries. More posts in left column archives list. Click photos for full size better view.) 

Planters and flowers:

The planter above was a kit from SDK Miniatures. I tried something different this time. Instead of using punches or pre-cut petals, I cut out different flowers from a sheet of scrapbook paper, "cupped" them with a ball stylus, and glued them onto paint-tipped wire. The flower heads were all different sizes but I liked that they were not the typical kind of plant and not too realistic. I used some plastic spiky leaves for the background. For some variety, I glued shimmery paper and a painted metal finding on the front.

I decided the windows of the Park Ave. Mansion needed some window boxes. Sure, it's fine without them, but as you've seen, I'm a "more is more" person, so I thought they added something.  Here's one of the boxes though I decided not to use the flower decal and took it off.

I took the easy way this time and just used pre-made clay flower slices. The flowers are just clay nail design slices glued to wire and stuck into air dry clay topped with moss. I also made the flower box from 1" scale staircase molding.


I did the tower, but am still finishing up the rest of the windows.


I had made some other window boxes previously on the Fairfield. (Looking for pix with the windows, which I haven't found yet.) The railing window box used pre-made clay leaves I took out of another planter.

Beds:

I admit a preference for nicely made beds in my houses. Here's a Halloween bed I made a while back from one of those punch-out furniture kits. I've also made others with different Halloween fabrics and a set of Christmas beds that I had used in the attic of my Country HS house. Here are the regular beds in that attic. (Hmm, I don't seem to have taken photos of the Christmas beds. Well, the Christmas part of the attic is in the above link. I'll have to redecorate that again.)

I saw a photo of someone else's messy dollhouse bed and thought that would be fun to try for a change. So, the bed in the chef's room (third floor of mansion, turquoise room) had to be messy, like he just left the crumpled up covers to go get ready for work. (The room is still not totally done yet.)

I used some leftover wood pieces from those punch-out furniture kits to make the bed frame with a piece of mat board for the bottom support and doubled foam for the mattress. The secret to this is gluing crumpled foil under the covers and then scrunching it so it lays how you want and then gluing it down. This was a fun experiment I'll have to try again.

1" Scale Bed:


This is a hideously ugly bed that I've been hanging onto as I had an idea in mind for it.

I'll say it was ugly. I'm revamping it - painting, adding paper accents and a red-white-blue nautical color scheme. I'll show it soon and have to say it looks pretty good! 

This and a few other things will be for sale soon (sorry, US shipping only) since I have shows coming up and need to get some more spending $.

Almost finished with it; Stay tuned!

Thanks again for visiting! Come back soon for more updates!