March 20, 2023

More Plants, Second Floor Hall & Additions to the Fairfield Dollhouse

I may be close to wrapping things up on the Fairfield Dollhouse, but I'm not quite done. You never are really finished, you know. You always see something you want to change or add.       (* See last post: the bedrooms, with links to other rooms.)

I still have several rooms to show you yet -- the finished dining room, parlor and kitchen, and I'm working on some things for the parlor/living room, but in the meantime, here are a couple things I've done since. Yeah, I'm stretching this out. ha! You don't mind, do you? 

(Search the archives in the left column for other posts and photos. Click photos for full size.) I put a tab on top of the blog showing links to this house and the others I've done, too. See My Dollhouses: Fairfield, Half-Scale, Etc. 

Attic Sitting Room

Since the previous post, I changed out the wood chair (which I repainted for the kitchen). I liked the fabric in the attic so much that I made a matching slipper chair instead, (also see top photo) which I think looks much better, don't you?

 I also used another slipper chair that I got in a swap in the girl's bedroom. (See link above.) These are great chairs to use to match any decor and are easy to make. For the attic chair, I used a 3/4" wood cube for the base and cut the back from matboard. (This year's swaps are in the mail and should be here this week, so I'll be showing those soon.)

Going downstairs, here's the view in the attic with the spiral staircase. I ended up using a single yarn for the rail as the other piece I'd doubled was too stiff. 

Second floor hall:  The spiral staircase is made from a kit from Alpha Stamps. Maybe I'll add a small table and another plant on the right of the stairs since there's room.


Added art on the wall. 

Also made this Monstera plant for in front of the window. (Just peeking out in photo above behind the spiral stairs.) It's a weird punch as it's only half a leaf, so you have to cut out the hole tabs and then glue the other half over it, but I wanted to try it and I think it came out okay. (I also added a little yellow duck outside the bathroom door since this photo! Couldn't find it at first!)


Porches: (Here's the exterior.)

I thought the walls on the first floor porch needed some plants so I added a lion face with a hanging plant on the left side and a planter box on the other side. Forgot about it; I see the front door still needs a wreath and numbers. See? Never done. 😏

I also found some window boxes on sale at Hobby Lobby, so I made a smaller planter box and used some of the plants to hang on the second floor rail. I think it was a good addition.

I'll have posts soon on the other rooms. Just finishing up a few things...

Thanks again for visiting. Be sure to come back soon!