January 05, 2023

New Year, New #dollhouse project... almost

What is this, you ask?

 Well, just got my belated birthday-Christmas gift. (*click photos for full size.)

A new 1/24, half-scale house. First fully-laser-cut house kit I've gotten and I have to say the details are really nice.


The doors and windows even have the inner and outer trim so I don't have to add it. Handy. Nice that we don't have to cut moldings. May have to do some taping when I paint/stain, though.


The fencing and detail on the staircase rails is really nice, too. I like that. The only downside I see, so far, are the poor directions sheets. Very small gray-tone photos.  I'll check around and see if anyone did any YouTube videos... that would be helpful, too. ** ADDED: Just found out: they have a color PDF page of directions on their website. Much better! They have a few videos, too, but not of this house.

*********

Have you guessed yet what house it is?

It's the 1/24, half-scale Park Avenue Mansion from LaserDollhouseDesigns. (And no, I didn't pay that; got a deal on Ebay. 😏 ) 


Cool house, huh? I've been wanting something different and wanted to do a taller vs. wider house. I have an idea of doing a kind of rooming house. One level will have the wealthier tenant with the fancy sitting room. I have a 1/24 Marcia Backstrom resin doll kit that I've been saving to do. We'll see what I come up with. I've been saving photos for inspiration, too, and I'd like to use some ideas from the Brooke Tucker Golden Christmas book.

*********

Now, it'll be a while before I get to this as the Fairfield is still-not-done. Oh, it's getting close. Half the roof is on (see below); stained glass windows and flower boxes are in. (Love how these turned out! Closer pix will be coming.) Luckily I found a close-enough match in paint color for the roof. I'd used Americana Rookwood Red on the windows and found the Apple Barrel Spiced Berry Satin, which is a multi-surface paint and has a slight sheen to it. It's only slightly different in tone so I went over the parts I had already painted and like the finish. 

I've got lots of trimming yet, like on the roof sides and tower, which I hate doing. ha! But I have a "cute" small gingerbread piece that should add a nice touch to the tower front. I also have the strips for the tower top to add that are painted the reddish-orange. Still trying to figure what to use on the tower tip; maybe a glittery ball, some kind of ornament... I'll know it when I see it.

Right now I'm figuring out an attic bathroom nook. Luckily I had these pieces. Not sure but I think the toilet is an old Tootsietoy or painted vintage piece. Had a better idea so it won't take up too much of the attic. I found it looks and fits better in the little space behind the attic wall next to the bedroom door I added, which I hadn't really planned on. I'll show the "ugly" stages shortly in an upcoming post if you need an idea. I'll share some other progress, too, as I'm pretty happy with how things are looking.

That's it for the moment. Stay tuned for more photos.  ** You can subscribe to email headline updates in the box in the left column. I've also added the blog to my website miniatures page. That page includes a growing list of half scale dollhouse supplies sources if you are interested.

Thanks for stopping by!