June 10, 2024

Half-Scale Tiki Bar!

 

Made some progress in getting the half-scale Tiki bar built. I think it turned out pretty well! (See last post-couch and first post. ** Click photos for full size & better view.)

* See the food and drinks so far!

As I have my own design preferences - usually colors - I went a different way on this and used shades of green between bamboo strips with the Tiki pictures on the bottom. I also used the same design for the roof instead of the straw-like fronds. I added some vines and more of the medium and large colorful flowers. I think it has a tropical flavor! 

I also added the palm trees in flower pots and put seat cushions on the bar stools - 2 of them are those thinner thread spools I mentioned before and the other is a 3D printed stool (MiniDecorandMore/Etsy).

Then I worked on the "not-fun stuff" next, which is putting hooks (actually vintage sewing "eye" hooks) inside the box and figuring where the flamingo lights should hang. And trying, trying to get them to stay up. Ended up dabbing dots of Quick Grip as I figure I won't be taking them down anyway.

I also got all the furniture in, and while I may make some additions yet, I like it! Maybe I'll add a tropical bar sign above the window on the outside.

 Here's the full box:


The posters gave it a tropical feel. It's kind of a cozy place, isn't it? It all looks a bit bare yet as I have to add food and drinks on the tables and bar, and cups/decorations on the shelves. I have to see if those Tiki candles fit in a couple corners, too. 

Here's the left side: (Maybe I'll add a small coffee table in front of that couch, too, I think.)


Right side:


I'm still probably going to make some Tiki cups, but I have to reprint as I realized the cup pictures should be slightly larger and wider. Back to the drawing board on that.

I was thinking I'll have to look around and see what kind of foods might be served in a place like this. Bar appetizers? I should probably have some appetizer dishes on the tables. A few ideas:

* Here's a Florida Tiki restaurant - pretty decor. I see things I can make: Orange-hued drinks, chili fries, seafood sandwiches (and fries), a bright green cocktail, ooh, a fuchsia pink drink!, yellow plates, pineapple slices, garnish tray with pineapples, orange slices, cherry tomatoes.



* I still like the look of these mini pineapple cups; and cups with straws; and cute Tiki cups or Coconut cups. Will have to order some. (Ruth Stewart Minis/Etsy) and Ruth Stewart Miniatures.

(** PS - I knew I bought some! Found the Tiki cups I got at the last show. They're so cute! I'll do another post once those and some other drinks are done.)

I'll share more once I get some of the food made and if I add some other things. 

This was a fun little project. It didn't take much to do it, basically just a few kits and the rest I made. Plus, it's in a neat container (former photo display box) that I'd picked up at Goodwill (cheap) a while ago. The bonus is it fits in the bookshelf. (I'm running out of room!) 

I actually have a couple more photo boxes I'd found before that stack; one looks like a cupula. Maybe I should look at that again for the idea I've been mulling over - a haunted Gothic library and bedroom, and I haven't decided what to use as a container/building yet. Maybe it would work... Stay tuned! 

Thanks again for visiting! Come back soon for more updates!