June 03, 2024

Half Scale Tiki Bar Update!

 Ok, now I'm starting to like this project more! (* See first post on the Tiki bar project. * See the finished bar!)

It takes making a few things to get you in the mood for a project.

I had this bamboo couch kit for quite a while that I picked up somewhere. Pulled it out once before, I think, and got kind of intimidated so it got put away. 

Well, this project was in the back of my mind, so thought I'd see how it'll go. Figured if I don't like it, I could always stash it away again. But, so far, so good.

I pulled out the directions and... Sheesh! Eight pages of tiny type. I ignored that. Looked at the diagrams, cut out a base from matboard, and started gluing the bamboo/cane around the frame. It's not perfect, but it turned out pretty well!

Once I made the cushions with my favorite bright orange/pink colored fabric, it really looked good! Pretty happy with how it came out! I used pressed foam packing material for the cushions and glued hot pink twine thread around the edges. I still have some bamboo pieces left so I have the crazy idea to try designing a chair... Maybe. haaa! We'll see...

The bonus is I made a small side table using some cut bamboo strips, a square mat board piece, and a dowel. Covered the top and bottom with some of the leftover straw mat fabric that I used on the other tables. (See first post.)

** Something funny: I didn't notice until after I wrote and scheduled this that there's what looks like a 5 on the fabric. I'll let you try to find it... Looked at it again, and thought someone wrote on it. Turns out....hey there are small numbers in the pattern! I saw a 3 and a 5... Why??? How odd! So... knowing it would bug me, I put another piece of fabric over it (and I'll glue down the top edge better). And it's probably the case of no one else would've seen it either, but I can't un-see it (and now you can't either!) haa!

Working on the bar itself next. Stay tuned!

Thanks for visiting again. Come back soon for more updates!