Today I'm sharing an excerpt of a story I wrote about the amazing miniature "enamel" flowers made by artisan Shelly Norris.
(Pictured: Pink Peonies)
The story is in the just published Sept. '09 issue (#183) of DollsHouse and Miniature Scene (UK).
Shelly Norris, Creator of Enamel Flowers
By Christine Verstraete
There are miniaturists who have a way of making paper flowers look like the real thing. Then there is Coloradoan Shelly Norris who has the Midas touch, making gold trimmed flowers that look like delicate enamel or cloisonné.
Shelly says all it took was trying to make one flower using this decades old technique. Now she wouldn’t think of stopping.
Shelly’s fascination with what she calls enamel flowers began when she found directions in an old issue of the Nutshell News magazine.
(Pictured: Japanese iris, Miniatures Only auction)
She talked to another miniaturist who was no longer making the flowers and decided to give the technique a try.For the past four years, Shelly has developed a full range of enamel flowers in a range of colours, sizes and varieties.
She sells the flowers individually for gardens, as plants, in pots, or for decorative pieces under the name Enchanted Florals by Shelly. She has also used the flowers to decorate her own handmade hats with great success.
The flowers have a wonderful, stained glass sheen and a delicate glow that can’t be matched by paper or clay flowers, no matter how skillfully made. They range from the always popular irises and tulips, to lovely peonies, dramatic roses, poppies, and amazing trellises full of climbing wisteria.
* Continue reading rest of partial excerpt at DollsHouse and Miniature Scene. The issue also includes Shelly's fantastic tutorial to make your own miniature enamel flower for a doll necklace.
See more of Shelly's Work:
* Shelly's blog: Enchanted Florals
* Her Twist Again Floral classes
Book & Writer Blogs
- ACME Authors
- Author of Doomed Queens
- Betty Webb
- Blog Book Tour Guide
- Blogs That Rule
- Blood Red Pencil - Writing, Editing Tips
- Book Roast
- Book Views, Lacresha Hayes
- Books at Pop Syndicate
- Celebrate Women
- Chester Campbell
- Christina Rodriguez, Ilustrator
- Christina Rodriquez artist
- Crispin Guest - Jeri Westerson, Medieval Noir
- Cynthia's Attic - Mary Cunningham
- Elysabeth's Stories
- Fatal Foodies - Food & Mysteries
- Female Sleuths
- Getting Medieval - Jeri Westerson
- Helen Ginger - Straight from Hel
- It's a Mystery
- JA Konrath
- JR Turner - Dead Friends Forever
- Katie Hines
- Killer Hobbies
- Lacresha Hayes - author, pastor, wisdom on women's issues
- Larry Karp
- Marlis Day
- Mary Welk
- Morgan Mandel
- My Friend Amy's Blog
- Mysterious People
- Mystery Scene Magazine
- Page 69 Test
- Page 99 Test
- Pets & Their Authors - Mayra Calvani
- The Stiletto Gang
- Women of Mystery, Terrie Farley Moran