July 22, 2009

First Graphs: GOLD DIGGER by Vicki Delany

Today starts a new ongoing feature that will highlight the opening paragraphs of interesting mystery, horror, romance and children's books. I hope you'll stop by each week and sample the start to some wonderful books!

Author Vicki Delany kicks it off with her historical mystery, GOLD DIGGER, A Klondike Mystery (Rendezvous Crime, April 2009) from Rendezvous Crime. The book is set in the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898. Love the cover!



Excerpt from GOLD DIGGER:

“Bloody hell,” Angus said.

For the first time in his life, I didn’t reprimand my son for swearing.

He had been in his room, sitting up in bed, concentrating on his school book, when I’d knocked and entered. I tried not to notice the penny-dreadful concealed in the folds of the geography tome.

“I have to go to the Savoy,” I said, as he stuffed the book under his pillow. “I might have made a mistake in the ledger, and I want to check.”

“Can’t it wait until tomorrow?”

“It can. But I can’t. Do you want to come with me?”

“Sure.”

In this town, I didn’t need a protector to walk the streets after dark (or at least what passed for dark), but I wanted my son’s company. He’d been distant of late. Growing up, probably. It had to happen, someday, but I intended to hold the forces of nature back as long as humanly possible.

Angus took my arm as we walked. It was a Sunday in June of 1898, and the town of Dawson, Yukon Territory, was as orderly as an orphanage expecting an imminent visit from Lady Bountiful. The streets were quiet; most people were at home resting after their evening meal. If they were lucky enough to have a home. And a meal.

* Read more at vickidelany.com/

* Visit Vicki Delany's blog, Type M 4 Murder

* Buy: Amazon.com