June 29, 2023

Half Scale Witch Cottage Fun Stuff: Decor

For fun: a bunch of black cat-themed books.

 While I like how the half Scale Witch Cottage is turning out, building can be a chore. 

Some like to build, I'd rather decorate. ha! 

So it's a nice break to just sit and make some new accessories for the fun of it. A nice, relaxing break. (House: Laser Dollhouse Designs' Jasmine Gothic Victorian CottagePrevious post- plants; some garage sale findsSee first floor. Click photos for full size. Other posts, see left column archives list.)

The books: I have a lot more to make but the set pictured above are all cat themed, mostly with black cats. Perfect for a witch. ha! (Cute cat-themed book cover set from WoWbooknook on Etsy, but has to be shrunk to 1/24.)

Second floor tower room:

One more wall to glue in to the second floor tower room and then the roof goes on, so I had to decide on accessories. It's a small space and won't hold much, so it's perfect for a stargazing room. 

I had a small bench and one of those Victorian-type chairs from another set so I painted both of them black.  I may add another small bench or seat yet along the wall. Also printed out and made a few star and astrology books since this photo was taken that I'll add on the table. 

The centerpiece - it needed a telescope! So had to figure how best to make one. My first try - too big. But the larger one will work in 1" scale if I need one. 

I used a smaller piece of drinking straw on the end, a piece of ink pen cartridge in the center, and the smallest size wood dowel I had at the viewing end to make the smaller telescope. You glue them together staggered. I also cut off a bit more of the straw before I glued them. Painted with multi-surface white acrylic and then gold fabric paint. I glued a mid-sized opalescent rhinestone on the larger end and a tinier white rhinestone on the viewing end. Also put a small piece of string around the viewing end for edging. The stand is a piece of Tiny Turnings and a cross-piece on the bottom made from two cut pieces of strip wood. Pretty pleased how they came out!

Other accessories: 

Decided the witch needed more supplies so made a couple boxes of ingredients to put on a shelf. 


The large Absinthe bottle and other larger size bottles are part of a set of flat acrylic bottle shapes I bought a while back. The smaller containers are kind of interesting. They're actually teardrop-shaped beads. They have a line so I paint the top section gold up to that line for the lid and add a cut-out label. When I found those a while back (garage sale maybe?), I knew they'd make great bottles!


Another ingredients box:

I also made a couple of smaller vintage Halloween card boxes.  All the boxes were made using a piece of larger two-sided corner molding to make the back and the bottom. Then I cut a lower front piece and sides from a piece of strip wood.


Also cut out and framed some signs:

Next, I'll glue the back bedroom wall in, add the border, attach the lights, and paper the roof pieces. I might put some wood strip beams on the inner ceilings for decoration. Also have to make the top "attic" section. Moving along!

shrunk some black cat border strips to put on the second floor wall to break up the purple. Have to see how they look.  (Vintage 1907 patternsLarger images linked here.) 

And more real garden stuff: love the colors of these zinnias!


Thanks for visiting again. More updates coming up soon!