January 31, 2022

#Halloween in January #HalfScale VB House Updates Interior


Maybe that's why Halloween never ends, since it's taking forever to get done here?... haa!

I was going to post before but then I got caught up trying to get some improvements done first... 

So, moving right along on the HS Van Buren...* See previous post or look in archives in left column or use the search box. (Click photos for full size.)

One reason why it takes so long to get stuff done is like yesterday (well today as I type this) - You have to do things in steps so you don't mess up. Like: I had a new front wall/ceiling piece cut since, ahem, I lost the original one. Then had to paper it but couldn't forget to cut a long slit in the paper so I can glue the lamp cord under the paper. Glue to house; waiting, waiting for glue to set. Then paint the other newly cut rectangle ceiling piece since the original is badly warped. Paper one side, paint outside, and add fake trap doors and trim. 

Okay... still here? 👀 Next: The Attic

All kinds of movie references came to mind:

The chair has to be aged, but all I could think was putting a creepy mummified Mrs. Bates-like figure there peeking out... 

And then... what movie do you think of here?

(The side walls in the attic are "news" print scrapbook paper; I have to glue in vertical wood beams once the front wall and ceiling are glued.)

The railings also were added around the attic staircase opening. The brick, which I love!, is printed on bumpy, textured paper from Starboc2 on Etsy. She's in Greece, but fast shipping and good prices. An idea here as I ran out of the thin wood flooring sheets: I found some wood veneer-look heavy scrapbook paper. I drew the lines with colored pencil and I think it works!

Dining room, left room on first floor: On my recent hunt for things I put in that "safe place," luckily, I found the rectangular Gothic table (from SDK Miniatures) I'd glued lace on. This is going to be a Miss Havisham scene, so had to see what I could put out and then age it with gray paint and cobwebs. I have to get some silverware yet Love how this turned out so far!

The roses are handmade from paper. The cake is from Crayola Model Magic, painted gray and added lace glued on. The lace is then painted over.  I took the candles from a wall sconce and glued them into small bead findings. The tea pot (back left) is a charm. Everything is painted over to look aged. The tiny bead caps have pieces of sliced fruit canes and melon balls. I have to figure some yucky old meat or I might just leave the plates as they are. 

The first floor center staircase serves as a divider wall for the parlor room on the right side. And the reason I left a hole in the back of it: (Which I keep thinking also needs a light, so thinking I should snake a flashing battery candle bulb (for those tiny nightlights) up through the floor.) Another why didn't I think of that before? moment. Let my mistakes be your reminders. 💀

It's Curtains! 

The curtains are done. I'd changed my mind (what else is new?) and put these sparkly web curtains here instead. Was just testing the furniture. The settee is from MiniEtchers. I made the coffin bookcase. 

The web curtains (supposedly glow-in-the-dark, cut from a roll of ribbon trim, we'll see) were moved to the right side room, which now will be the parlor. 

Bedroom, second floor:

The bedroom curtains are in and all the trim has been done since this photo. I still wish the room was another color, but that was all I had at the moment. I had a circus sideshow theme in mind, so I'll have to do that in the other house. Have to frame that art yet, though, and might hang it here to liven up the room.

The hall, second floor: I realized once the bedroom wall and door were in at left that this was too dark, so I had to add another light. Bad planning as I should've added a light by the stairs too, which would've been much cooler coming out of that skeleton bead. Well, keeping that in mind for the next house. Lighting is just so hard to envision sometimes!

The best part: Decorating the Walls!

Pictures and art are as addicting as making mini books. Good TV watching projects and you can really never have too many! Spooky people, creepy monsters, and more! Here are some of the pictures and frames I did (so far!) I know there are a few more I want to add. I also have some of those lenticular (moving/changing) images. Luckily I found those before since I haven't seen any for a couple years now.

The Outside:

The planning, anyway. Another hard part of the project is having to plan out how the paper will fit, but I love how this will look! I wanted it to seem old; the window trim is all black. I'll add some vines, etc. too. This is only laid here and not glued yet. I'm making paper templates as I have to piece the sheets.

I traced over the window edges with pencil and then cut the holes to fit. The center is trickier as there are two doors.

One more thing: 

An interesting find: I found these neat fake flower pods (cheap) at Target a while back. Thought they would be great flower pots.

That's it for the moment. Thanks for stopping by! Until next time!