December 06, 2009

12 Days of Christmas in Miniature 6: Night Before Christmas; Santa's Toys

Welcome to Day 6 of The 12 Days of Christmas in Miniature for 2009.

This year we are following along with the classic tale, "'Twas the Night Before Christmas."(click link to start at day 1.)


'Twas the Night Before Christmas

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,

So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,


With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.





And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.



* The darling toys are by Massachusetts sculptor Morena Ciambra. Morena hand-sculpts these adorable little animals working in porcelain and recently in polymer clay. She often accents her charming figures with vintage laces and trims, or with hand-crocheted touches, only a few of the steps she takes to make each doll or figure special. She also includes a signed certificate and gift box to make them truly collector's items.

"There is something about the feel of these older pieces that brings that magic to miniatures," she says. "Crocheting tiny accessories that I have trimmed with tiny thread roses just finish these tiny dolls and give them that handmade feel.

"I sometimes will make a little wicker basket or crib if the doll needs something special. Each of my little ones has it's own personality. I do not make two that are exactly the same. Presentation is very important since these little ones are passed down through the generations. Nothing leave my hands unless I feel that it is my best work because my name is on it. Each piece finds its way to a good home, for that I am grateful, because I know that a new creation is just about to appear."

* Photos: Handmade toys and Santa with toys by Morena Ciambra. Visit her blog.

* Handmade reindeer with sleigh by Alice Zinn. Read more about Alice and see other animals and dogs she's made here.

* Next: Christmas in Miniature Day 7.