For fun, today I decided to play off a past post on 50 Memes that Dani wrote about at BlogBookTours .
To make a character real, you need to know their likes/dislikes, habits, quirks, tastes, favorite music, and more of the facts besides just their eye and hair color.
It's those kinds of details that make the character appear real to you as a writer and more importantly, make them real to the reader.
So for today, I've adapted one of those memes that can be used to better know your characters.
A short eight to 10 question list can help you round out your characters before you write. To keep track of the facts and descriptions for later use, you can use a character worksheet (download in PDF format) or do a detailed character profile log as described by author Marvin D. Wilson.
Examples in this exercise are based on my characters, Sam and Lita, from Searching For A Starry Night, A Miniature Art Mystery.
Feel free to use your own characters and share some of their quirks and personalities.
Eight Character Facts
1. Your Character's Favorite Word:
Sam likes to say 'holy cow' a lot.
2. Your Character's Favorite Pastime:
Lita likes to read. Sam is a dabbler and hops from one project to another.
3. Your Character's Oddest Thought:
Sam tries to picture she, her mom and her pal Lita in a pillow fight.
4. Your Character's Favorite Food or Snack:
Sam likes chocolate and Starbursts candy. Lita likes Banana Laffy Taffy candy.
5. Your Character's Worst Memory:
Sam hated when she and Lita were mad at each other in grade school.
6. Your Character's Likes or Dislikes:
Sam hates spiders. Lita doesn't like ghosts or spooky stories.
7. Your Character's Favorite Dessert:
Both girls like ice cream.
8. Your Character's Worst Moment:
Sam doesn't want her mom to know they got scared of some noises outside.
** Your Turn: Copy and tell us about your character. Other categories that can be added include: favorite sport, clothing, hairstyle, music, etc.
Book & Writer Blogs
- ACME Authors
- Author of Doomed Queens
- Betty Webb
- Blog Book Tour Guide
- Blogs That Rule
- Blood Red Pencil - Writing, Editing Tips
- Book Roast
- Book Views, Lacresha Hayes
- Books at Pop Syndicate
- Celebrate Women
- Chester Campbell
- Christina Rodriguez, Ilustrator
- Christina Rodriquez artist
- Crispin Guest - Jeri Westerson, Medieval Noir
- Cynthia's Attic - Mary Cunningham
- Elysabeth's Stories
- Fatal Foodies - Food & Mysteries
- Female Sleuths
- Getting Medieval - Jeri Westerson
- Helen Ginger - Straight from Hel
- It's a Mystery
- JA Konrath
- JR Turner - Dead Friends Forever
- Katie Hines
- Killer Hobbies
- Lacresha Hayes - author, pastor, wisdom on women's issues
- Larry Karp
- Marlis Day
- Mary Welk
- Morgan Mandel
- My Friend Amy's Blog
- Mysterious People
- Mystery Scene Magazine
- Page 69 Test
- Page 99 Test
- Pets & Their Authors - Mayra Calvani
- The Stiletto Gang
- Women of Mystery, Terrie Farley Moran