December 14, 2012

As Long As There's a Leg on Each Corner....


In previous blogs I’ve written about my love of big dogs, specifically Labrador retrievers and how I’ve included them in my books. Well, I confess – I added a little dog to one of my earlier novels. It had to be a small critter for the plot. The books is, Call Sign: Love and it was the number one best seller on Fictionwise in August of 2009.
My protagonist, Cyndia Simmons (she explains that her first name is pronounced just like Cynthia, but without the lisp) has a Chihuahua that she named Thor. She gave him a big dog’s name to give him confidence.

I got the idea for this book while working at the San Diego Sheriff’s Department as a volunteer. I was with the department for over two years, learned a lot and loved my “job.” I wrote a non-fiction book about my adventures, An Extra Pair of Eyes, www.writewords.com and www.amazon.com and had fun with that but, I felt I just HAD to write a romance too. Of course as with all my books, there’s a mystery and a bit of humor. In this case, the mystery revolves around a man running naked through the small town of Oakdale, with only a brown bag on his head. Here’s the synopsis:

     Cyndia Simmons is searching for a new career and the love of her life, but there’s a problem. She grew up in a family of law enforcement officers and swore never to marry a man with a badge. She refuses to even date men in law enforcement—which is rather difficult, considering that she’s a dispatcher at the Sheriff’s Department Communications Center and all the men she meets wear guns. Then she meets Todd Witlow. He’s handsome, kind, and generous—and he’s a deputy. Although Cyndia does everything she can to avoid him, destiny keeps throwing them together.  
     Todd is on the fast track through the ranks at the Sheriff’s Department; he knows that’s best done alone, but when night after night he is forced to listen to Cyndia’s husky voice over the radio, he becomes determined to meet her—and more.


                                                                      

Call Sign: Love is available at: www.writewordsinc.com and www.amazon.com

Doggy tip for today.

                How to Remove Small Blood Stains from Carpet, Fast, Easy & Cheap

It’s happened to all of us. You cut the dog’s toenail to short and a few drops of blood fall on the family room carpet. Or your dog works on a raw hide chew too long and soon blood is dripping from her mouth. Sometimes the animals play too hard and you find the result, blood on your carpet. I’ve lived with dogs most of my life and have come to the conclusion that if you live with critters, you’re going to find spots of blood on your rug. Not to worry. There’s an easy, inexpensive way to remove blood stains from your carpet. I got this tip from my veterinarian and have found it works every time!
1.      Pour a little water on the stain – just enough to dampen the area.
2.      Take normal table salt and sprinkle it on the fresh stain to lightly coat it.
3.      Gently rub the salt into the stain with a clean, wet cloth.
4.      The salt will break down the protein in the blood.
5.      With a dry cloth blot up any remaining moisture from the area. The stain is gone!
6.      When the spot is dry, smooth the carpet area to blend the fibers with the rest of the carpet.  Using a coin really brings the fibers up and blends them. I’ve found quarters work best.
Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season, and a Happy, Healthy New Year!