May 28, 2012

Summer Teen Reading Party! Welcome Jan Fischer Wade, author of VEILED VIRTUES


Today I welcome Jan Fischer-Wade, author of VEILED VIRTUES. (** Be sure to read to the end for her contest and prize!!)

**Visit Jan's blog today and comment for the contest (check details at end of this post first) then go to Jan's blog for more on my latest works. **





Thanks for having me on your site today Chris!

I want to know where everyones favorite place to read is, but also, where they usually end up reading. I love reading in bed, but I usually dont have the time. I find I can read the most when traveling (on the plane or riding in a car). What about you?

I am having a blast with the Summer Teen Reading Party and I am so excited about this month long event! We’ve got lots of great books and authors there – many for $1.99 or less. I hope everyone visits! Make sure to read the rest of this post to find out how you can enter to win a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card!

This summer, I will be working on the finishing touches to the sequel to Veiled Virtues so I won’t have time to read much else. The sequel is entitled Latent Legacy and you can read more about it on my website listed below!

Here is a bit about my novel, VEILED VIRTUES:

When Paige Stewart left America to house-sit in England, her only thoughts were to get away from her controlling mother and to have fun. Little did she know that her working holiday would find her hearing eerie voices, experiencing alarming dreams and bleeding from old scars. Although Paige's differences confuse and disgust her, she opens up to the shopkeeper of a strange metaphysical store in town, where she finds much more than tarot cards and crystals. Soon, Paige is stalked like prized game. Relentlessly pursued, her holiday takes a turn for the eerie and dangerous. Her only saving grace may be a modern-day English knight who sweeps her off her feet and recognizes the true virtues the American teen unknowingly possesses.

Veiled Virtues is available at the following sites: Amazon OmniLit Smashwords MuseItUp Publishing Diesel Kobo BookStrand AmazonUK

Coming soon to Barnes & Noble and iTunes!!!

Never-before shared excerpt from Veiled Virtues: A visit to the towns new age store, Magogs.

“Come into Magog’s with me,” I challenged.

“My mum would kill me if I did,” Lydia said.

“Oh, come on. She won’t find out. Aren’t you curious?” I needled.

She stopped and looked at me. “All right, but only a quick run through, agreed?”

“Fine.”

We walked the short distance to Magog’s, and I pulled the door open to let Lydia go in first, but at that same instant, a very tall, broad man emerged from the store and startled us. With his long hair and physique, he looked like one of those professional wrestlers on television. He had an intense look about him, and Lydia and I exchanged glances when he passed us. What had he been shopping for in there? I was sure he wasn’t browsing for a fairy statue or aromatic candles.

We entered the store, and I immediately noticed a small group of people toward the back wall. Nathaniel, Avery, and Julia were talking together. Julia turned her head toward us first.

“Hello, Paige.” she called.

“Hey, Julia,” I said.

Nathaniel turned around quickly and walked toward us. “Hello, ladies. What a pleasure.”

“This is my friend, Lydia.”

“Delighted to meet you, Lydia” he said, his eyes bright with amusement. He shook her hand.

“Um, hi, uh, it’s nice to meet you, too,” Lydia stammered, and I grinned, recognizing the familiar effect of his close presence on one’s ability to speak intelligently.

“And this is my cousin, Avery,” Nathaniel said to Lydia, gesturing toward his cousin a few yards away, “and that is Julia,” he added.

Lydia nodded in their direction.

“We were out and about doing some shopping and thought we’d stop by,” I explained nonchalantly, but yearned to feel the warm glow Nathaniel’s close presence emitted.

“Hey, you guys didn’t clean out Fawn’s, did you?” Avery asked, noticing our sacks. “We’re heading over there in a bit,” she added, referring to herself and Julia.

“Trust me, we left you plenty,” I assured her. Avery had to be at least two sizes smaller than both Lydia and I.

Avery and Julia showed Lydia some necklaces, but the large sword mounted on the wall once again drew me in. It was hypnotically appealing, like it should mean something to me. I needed to touch it.

Nathaniel’s voice broke my concentration. “Avery, before you go to Fawn’s, I think you should give Paige a complimentary reading.”

“What?” I asked. Avery agreed to do it and Nathaniel winked as if I were in for a real treat.

From behind the counter, she pulled out a deck of cards and held them up. “Tarot card reading. Here, sit.” She pointed to the stool opposite her, and I complied.

About Jan’s giveaway:

Enter to win a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card!!! One lucky winner will be chosen from the commenters on her blog (including emails to her from non-Book Blogs members), "Likes" and "Shares" on Facebook and Tweets about her book, Veiled Virtues, or the Summer Reading Party site (include @veiledvirtues in your tweets!). It's that easy!!! She will be having other giveaways during the month on her blog as well, so make sure to visit it!