June 21, 2011

Hanging a Miniature Door - Tudor Half Scale House


An update on the Half Scale Tudor House I've been constructing (forever? ha!) (See other pix of the house here.)

The door is done in the top pic; I still need to add the bottom bay window.

The hardest part was figuring what to use as hinges for the door. In my full-size Tudor Tea Shoppe (see link on my miniatures page on my website), I used hard plastic strapping tape cut to size. Well, I have to reglue the tape now so I didn't want to do something like that again.



This time I tried something different and I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. As you see in the above pic, the hinges are metal. I cut sword-shaped strips from the top of a mixed nut can (the metal is fairly thin and has an opening tab you pull up.) It cuts easily with scissors.



I glued strips of balsa wood across the door for boards. I then dabbed the back of the metal strips with Quick Grip to hold them in place. Next, I cut regular straight pins very short, again with scissors. Predrill or gouge a small hole into the wood. Hold the pin with small pliers and push it into the hole as far as it will go. Once all the pins were in place, I hammered them in so they were flat and then glued the trim around the door.

I plan to age the metal slightly and add a door knob. I may have to make a door knob to fit the house style.

1 comment:

Beverly Diehl said...

Your craftpersonship is amazing. Beautiful pics.

Here by way of Warrior Muse A-Z revisited.

Writing in Flow