June 16, 2010

Featured Miniaturist: Steampunk and Miniature Creations by Deb's Minis

After coming across this amazing "Steampunk Stove," also known by its formal name: Steam Powered Food Preparation Device and Instant Hot Water Receptacle, I invited Deb of Deb's Minis to share more of her unique miniatures.

A former textile artist, Deb has been working in miniature for nearly five years, making everything from dressed beds and furniture, to a variety of one-of-a-kind items.

"I’ve always loved anything in miniature so it wasn’t surprising that I found myself wanting a dollhouse," she says. "I actually thought that I only wanted one!" (We all know how that goes, right?)

"After researching dollhouses, I discovered that the ones I liked the best were the Greenleaf designs and decided that I could build my own dollhouse. By the time I finished the first one, I had already ordered three more kits and knew that I was hooked. I became a member of the Greenleaf building team and started my own miniature business within a year. I’m also the editor-in-chief of the Greenleaf Gazette and was recently inducted into the Dollhouse Hall of Fame."


Dollhouses as Art

Deb's artistic side continues to come through in her dollhouses, which she admits just might be her favorite art form.

"It would be hard to pick a favorite from my dollhouses.," she says. "I have a passionate love affair with each one when I’m building them and they all have a special place in my heart. While I love all the little things that go inside a dollhouse, I can be just as happy with building a dollhouse and leaving it unfurnished in order to better admire its architectural lines and features."



Take her "White Orchid," what she calls "a monochromatic exercise in light play using crystals and mirrors in a white-on-white environment."




In fact, she loves building dollhouses so much that she admits, "I’ve lost count of how many I’ve built." (Confession: she now has 17 dollhouses in her personal collection.)

"I find inspiration almost everywhere," she says. "My miniatures are extremely diverse and eclectic. I can go from making a decrepit ghost townhouse. to an ultra feminine French café and then to a sleek modern bachelor style without even thinking about the change.

(Pictured: French cafe')

"I’ve done everything from a fairy house encrusted with gemstones, to a Japanese Edo period house with sliding Shoji doors and even a party boat for the Grim Reaper titled “Death Takes a Holiday." (Pictured: Emerald Fairy Tale Cottage)








A Favorite

It's hard to pick one favorite, of course, but she does lean towards her "Wise Ways Emporium." The detailed shop, a witch’s supply store, is dedicated to her great-grandmother and built in the Brimble's Mercantile dollhouse kit.




Amazing Steampunk!

She also loves Victoriana, technology, and fantasy, and combining them has begun a whole new passion: "I’m also a geek, so Steampunk miniatures are a natural for me. I love everything about Steampunk. The combination of the past and future is intriguing, but the most fascinating aspect of Steampunk is creating the impossible.

"I always try to add a level of probability to my Steampunk minis so they make the viewer think, 'that might actually work!' With Steampunk, the only limit to what you can do is your imagination.

"In fact, I’ve given a name to the part of my personality that creates Steampunk. His name is Dr. Thaddeus Robertson and he’s a mad scientist.

"I don’t actually believe that my imaginary friend is real, but it’s fun to be involved in creating something so unique that it requires its own name and personality." (Pictured: Dr. Thaddeus Robertson’s Amazing Steam Powered Self-rocking Rocking Chair.)

With her interest in the new and unique, don't be surprised what's next on Deb's planning board!

"I look for a challenge in each creative venture and am always looking toward the next challenge," she says. "I don’t like to repeat the same thing twice—I’d much prefer to do something new and exciting. My inspiration comes from my Muse and I never know what she’ll want to do next!"

** For fun, read the whole story of Dr. Robertson's creations on Deb's website, and follow his exploits as he has some incredible plans for the future on his design table!" (I, for one, can't wait to see what's next!)

Thanks, Deb, for sharing your work with us!



1 comment:

vvb32 reads said...

Cool interview. Thanks for posting about these wonderful steampunk creations!