Go to a grocery store or anywhere else and it seems that everyone is talking and talking. People everywhere are on the phone or texting. What do they have to talk about?
These days, talk is cheap - and plentiful. When it comes to writing, though, too much verbiage can be a problem.
Tip 3: Make Every Word Count
"Challenge every word," says Joanna Campbell Slan, author of PAPER, SCISSORS, DEATH (Midnight Ink).
"When I worked in advertising, we had so little space that I learned to 'challenge' every word, to ask each word, 'Can you be deleted or replaced?'
"In school, most of us pad to meet the assigned word length. Our papers are bloated with excess. We are rewarded for being verbose. That model is all wrong.
Unless you are being paid by the word, you should make every word pay its own way by being lean, clean and specific."
** Look for more tips for writers at Joanna's blog
-- Joanna Campbell Slan, author of PAPER, SCISSORS DEATH, A Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-N-Craft Mystery (Midnight Ink).
Kiki Lowenstein, scrapbooker, mother, killer? Now she must find who killed her husband - and his girlfriend - before the killer closes in on her.
Book & Writer Blogs
- ACME Authors
- Author of Doomed Queens
- Betty Webb
- Blog Book Tour Guide
- Blogs That Rule
- Blood Red Pencil - Writing, Editing Tips
- Book Roast
- Book Views, Lacresha Hayes
- Books at Pop Syndicate
- Celebrate Women
- Chester Campbell
- Christina Rodriguez, Ilustrator
- Christina Rodriquez artist
- Crispin Guest - Jeri Westerson, Medieval Noir
- Cynthia's Attic - Mary Cunningham
- Elysabeth's Stories
- Fatal Foodies - Food & Mysteries
- Female Sleuths
- Getting Medieval - Jeri Westerson
- Helen Ginger - Straight from Hel
- It's a Mystery
- JA Konrath
- JR Turner - Dead Friends Forever
- Katie Hines
- Killer Hobbies
- Lacresha Hayes - author, pastor, wisdom on women's issues
- Larry Karp
- Marlis Day
- Mary Welk
- Morgan Mandel
- My Friend Amy's Blog
- Mysterious People
- Mystery Scene Magazine
- Page 69 Test
- Page 99 Test
- Pets & Their Authors - Mayra Calvani
- The Stiletto Gang
- Women of Mystery, Terrie Farley Moran