May 17, 2008
Searching For A Starry Night - mini Petey!
For fun, I was playing with the Model Magic air-dry clay and wanted to see if an idea I had would work. Sometimes, as crafters know, what looks good in your head, doesn't always quite turn out as you envisioned it.
Granted my first examples had a kind of "little piggie" look to the face, with too long of snouts. But hey, not all the dogs in the litter are always picture-perfect! Still, I kind of like this little guy!
After several tries, I ended up with a couple small versions of "Petey," the nosy Dachshund from SEARCHING FOR A STARRY NIGHT that I liked. The dogs are about 1 3/4" long (nose to tail) and the same dimensions from the top of his head to the floor.
After the clay dried, I painted them with Folk Art acrylic paint in Nutmeg and sprinkled on light brown velvet flocking. I found on my second try that the flocking seems to stick better on the wet paint instead of adding glue, though it still leaves only a thin layer. I used a 11/0 Czech glass bead for the nose and 1 mm no hole beads for the eyes.
Yes, there are quite a few I've made and have to finish. I was thinking of trying the little dogs for a kid's class at the library, with them only painting and not flocking an already-assembled dog to make it easier. What do you think?
I'm pretty happy with the results. I'd love to hear your comments!
Book & Writer Blogs
- ACME Authors
- Author of Doomed Queens
- Betty Webb
- Blog Book Tour Guide
- Blogs That Rule
- Blood Red Pencil - Writing, Editing Tips
- Book Roast
- Book Views, Lacresha Hayes
- Books at Pop Syndicate
- Celebrate Women
- Chester Campbell
- Christina Rodriguez, Ilustrator
- Christina Rodriquez artist
- Crispin Guest - Jeri Westerson, Medieval Noir
- Cynthia's Attic - Mary Cunningham
- Elysabeth's Stories
- Fatal Foodies - Food & Mysteries
- Female Sleuths
- Getting Medieval - Jeri Westerson
- Helen Ginger - Straight from Hel
- It's a Mystery
- JA Konrath
- JR Turner - Dead Friends Forever
- Katie Hines
- Killer Hobbies
- Lacresha Hayes - author, pastor, wisdom on women's issues
- Larry Karp
- Marlis Day
- Mary Welk
- Morgan Mandel
- My Friend Amy's Blog
- Mysterious People
- Mystery Scene Magazine
- Page 69 Test
- Page 99 Test
- Pets & Their Authors - Mayra Calvani
- The Stiletto Gang
- Women of Mystery, Terrie Farley Moran