June 08, 2026

Lighting the Half-Scale Garage

 

Lit miniature garage
Let there be lights!!

Making progress! I've been poking around, losing things, searching, all that fun stuff, but finally - finally - got the lights in! (The bottom floor really isn't as blue as this; photo didn't use flash.) (*Click photos for full size.)

Half-scale garage apartment
Second floor apartment

The top floor uses two large chip LEDs, with a battery holder that will be hidden under the (not shown) sink. Pretty bright! The wall will be added on the left side. I'm leaving it so it can be removed if needed.

Miniature lights
Fluorescent lights

Ta-dah! I'm really happy with how my faux "fluorescent" lights came out! Look pretty real, huh? I don't think anyone has done something like this before, unless they're the working expensive variety.

Close-up miniature garage lights
Lights, close-up

The garage workspace has faux "fluorescent" lights using the crystal plastic tubes from Bic pens (the pen end is cut off). I used a string of 10 lights from the Dollar Tree. The string is spread out with half of the lights tucked inside each tube, with the wire left between the two tubes. It's attached to a cardboard folder with a chain glued on to look like the light casing.

Battery cabinet
Cabinet before final painting; lights stuck in crystal tubes

The rest of the wire going to the battery box is covered with a painted thin straw (thanks for the idea Gigi!) and glued to the wall to look like conduit. The battery box (see full view photo above, right side) is hidden behind the cabinet, made by glueing vintage plastic cabinet doors on the front (actually the back side of the battery box) and a wood counter on top. I covered the side with cardstock, leaving the switch open. The box is held in with Velcro, so I can remove it if I have to change the batteries. And figured out a cool solution for an electric box.

Mini motorcycle

A motorcycle and "motor" I found. I was going to chop the motorcycle up for the parts ("chop shop" garage? ha!) But it's kind of too nice to wreck... for now. But have to see how it looks in there size-wise.

Getting some of the signs up and deciding where things go. I'll show the garage again when everything is in and set up. Have to put all the boxes, etc. inside and finish furnishing the top floor, though I found more printie boxes I might have to do! Then I am adding a bit more "dirt"  but I'm holding back... I don't want it "too" dirty... or it'll be turned into an abandoned garage! I have a base to cover and put stuff around on, too. An!d I just made a fun addition for it. It's only a garage, but I keep thinking of things that should be in it!

After this, besides the tiny attic project I mentioned earlier (I just found the perfect paper for it!), I think I'm ready for a more "girly" project again. Maybe I should work on the Raggedy Ann house. I really should. It's ready to have lights put in and be papered. I haven't dressed any dolls in a while, either. Could be fun transforming some tinier dolls. Am thinking on that... We'll see...

* Thanks again for visiting! Come back soon for the rest of the project & what's next! *