April 02, 2016

#AtoZ 2016 - B is for Mini Baba Yaga

Today is day 2, the letter B for the 7th annual A to Z Blog Challenge in April! 

Check out the 1000+ blogs on the list!  If you like books, etc., I'm also doing the same on my GirlZombieAuthors blog. I may even share a spooky mini or two there!

If you don't know who - or what - Baba Yaga is, I wanted to share a unique miniature project made by talented miniaturist Alice Zinn.

I thought this was incredible and so realistic - a mini Baba Yaga, (1" scale, 1" =1', 6 inches tall) - accurate down to the feet! Now I'd heard of the Russian "witch woman" before, but never saw her with chicken feet until I looked it up.   Pretty amazing, huh? 





According to Wikipedia, “in Slavic folklore, Baba Yaga is a supernatural being (or one of a trio of sisters of the same name) who appears as a deformed and/or ferocious-looking woman. Baba Yaga flies around in a mortar, wields a pestle, and dwells deep in the forest in a hut usually described as standing on chicken legs (or sometimes a single chicken leg). Baba Yaga may help or hinder those that encounter or seek her out. She sometimes plays a maternal role, and also has associations with forest wildlife. According to Vladimir Propp's folktale morphology, Baba Yaga commonly appears as either a donor or villain, or may be altogether ambiguous.”