May 05, 2009

Happy Cinco De Mayo, miniature Mexican room

Cinco de Mayo (The Fifth of May) marks Mexico's victory over the French Army at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

To celebrate, I'm sharing my Mexican-Southwest Corner. The small room is made of foam core board covered with lighweight Spackle that was painted yellow. The floor is matboard with strips cut out to resemble tiles.

The majority of decorative items came from other miniaturists in a group swap. I made the chair from a punch-out furniture kit. I made the sideboard from wood pieces and painted it with acrylics. This was a fun project and being small, a good way to get something done (though I swear even the smaller projects take as much time to do because of the detail.)

I love the bright colors used in Mexican decorating and eventually would like to make a Mexican-styled room or a cantina.

I think one of the most fantastic structures I've ever seen is the half scale cantina by miniaturist Bill Lankford. The detail is incredible.

I am going to try to see if anyone has a finished interior to share and if so, I'll see if I can post some photos and details here soon.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Christine really like your Mexican Corner, so full of detail..

Katie said...

I love this little room, it's so colorful!!! .....And a Happy Cinco De Mayo to you!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Very Mexican! The detail and colors are great.

Anonymous said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

http://www.johnmaszka.com/cincodemayo.html